I am a 33 years old male who has experienced left knee pain since the age of 17?

I am a 33 years old male who has experienced left knee pain since the age of 17 (no trauma). I had an x-ray at that time but it was all ok. It was not too problematic but in the last 2 years has become very problematic. It is painful to squat and then stand again and painful after running (not an excessive runner or sports person). I had an MRI which shows: minimal joint effusion, complete loss of joint space, marginal osteophytes and subchondral bone marrow oedema and cystic change of the proximal tibiofibular joint. It also showed thinning of the articular catilage at the patellar apex, focal thinning/fissuring of the articular catilage at the inferior aspect of the trochlear groove and lateral margin of the trochlea. Everything else was normal (summary: severe proximal tibiofibular osteoarthritis and mild patellofemoral arthritis). I did have juvenile arthritis as a 2 year old but subsequently recovered after 1 year.

Would the history of the juvenile arthritis cause osteoarthritis later on in life as I still feel quite young to be having idiopathic osteoarthritis without trauma or excessive use?

Age: 33
Medications: None
General Information: Otherwise fit and well

Notify of
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments
Dr. Javez Ernesto
7:06 pm

Osteoarthritis is a form of joint disease. More so than just due to wear and tear or trauma. Inflammation related to Juvenile arthritis can cause persistent joint pain and joint damage and – in my opinion – it is the cause of your existing problems. Knee pain since you were 17 indicates that there probably was a recurrence of synovitis – inflammation- in your joints for over 15 years.

Dr.Honey Arora
4:42 am

Hi. Thanks for the query.. Juvenile arthritis symptoms can recover but in many cases there are a pretty good number of chances where the symptoms seem to go away but then Remission occurs.. And in your case also the Osteoarthritis is not just due to overuse of the joint but is probably due to worsening of the Juvenile form. So you should consult an Orthopedic surgeon and get evaluated. Treatment modalities can help in relieving the symptoms like taking NSAID’S, antidepressants like Cymbalta for chronic pain. Physical therapy, occupational therapy and steroid injections can be helpful.. If nothing works at… Read more »