I cough up blood but have had a CT scan and bronchoscopy that all came back normal?

I am a 33 year old female. I cough up blood but have had a CT scan and bronchoscopy that all came back normal except for a cavitary lesion that was 2 cm. The doctor is watching it, and coughing up blood has decreased. However, Friday afternoon, the right side of my chest started hurting when I breathed in deeply or coughed. It’s still hurting, and is worse when I lay down on my back, breath in or out deeply, cough or sniff, and hold my right arm above my head. It hurts worse on the side of my chest under my arm and when I press on my ribs at all, front or side. I don’t know if it’s related, so I called my regular doctor’s office who told me to call my pulmonologist. When I called the Pulmonologist’s office, the staff called back and told me to go to the ER. I really don’t want to go to the ER, as I’m not sure it’s related and don’t want to pay the high copay for nothing, but I do want to know what to do about the chest pain. Is it related to the cavity? Is going to the ER really necessary?

Notify of
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments
Ayman Darrag
7:11 pm

From your description it seems related to a musculoskeletal problem , i recommend using hot packs for a couple of days on your pain , also you need to do a culture for sputum..
Are you a smoker?

Ahmed Fawzy
9:01 pm

Can you upload your CT scan ?
If you have no other symptoms so I recommend that you see an oncologist to be safe , I do not think ER will be of much help
Good Luck

Masr Fawzy
2:10 am

It’s most probably costochondritis… Inflammation in the ribs and the muscle, it could be transmitted infections from the cavitary lesion. So u tell me is it in the same place or not?
What was the diagnosis that your pulmonologist told you about the cavitary lesion

Dr.Honey Arora
12:01 pm

Thanks for the query..

You can go to ER so that they can take care of acute pain symptoms but as a cavitated lesion is present it should be thoroughly evaluated and for this you need to consult a Pulmonologist only..
My advise is that please do not delay even going to Pulmonologist..

Hope this helps..