I have severe narcolepsy as well as CFIDS, need second opinion?

Are Doctor’s paid to research? i.e. when they have a patient who has an illness they are not familiar with can they bill for the time spent learning as much as they can about it? I ask this question because I have severe narcolepsy as well as CFIDS; what is considered “invisible” illness. I was recently hospitalized for an acute and unrelated condition – a severe GI infection. I was NPO and unmedicated for any and all symptoms which as you know can mimic psychiatric disease. For the first time in decades I suffered – without medication, from symptoms of automatic behavior, hallucinations at night and during the day, disrupted nighttime sleep and more. I recently received a copy of my inpatient records and also of outpatient visits and tests too – all of which indicate I have now at age 64 been adjudicated with “mental illness of long standing duration,” “bipolar disease unspecified.” The discharge summary states, “Patient states history of narcolepsy and chronic fatigue, however psychiatry indicates diagnosis of bipolar disease…and so forth. There are statements such as how I am unable to follow a conversation, appear confused, inappropriate at times; of course I was; my prognosis was initially guarded and my husband was called regarding code status as I was deemed incapable of making decisions. I asked as did my husband that my providers familiarize themselves with the symptoms of my chronic illnesses. An outpatient visit with a gynecologist (!) states bipolar disease, in partial remission, most recently depressed, indicating this was discussed during that visit – which was not. (Nor has anyone informed me I am bipolar or is treating me for it…). My other questions are: What would you do and what should I do?

Age: 64
Medications: n/a
General Information: no

Notify of
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments
Jean Claude
4:17 pm

There is no real physical or lab test to diagnose bipolar disorders. The doctor expressed an opinion and diagnosed bipolarity based on symptoms you mentioned. Many symptoms fit in the “Bipolar” tag. Symptoms of Narcolepsy and CFIDS can be confused with Bipolar. If you feel fine when taking your existing medication, then I think you don’t need any additional help. If you still experience symptoms , you should consult a mental health practitioner to clarify the diagnosis. And yes they can bill you.

Original Poster
Original Poster
8:23 pm

This is now in my permanent record. I remain GI symptomatic and require outpatient care. As I mentioned re: gynecology report; erroneous incorrect information is on reports and the diagnosis Bipolar on every document generated – even on the copy of my outpatient colonoscopy for example which was sent to outpatient Dr. – 6 months after inpatient “bipolar” dx generated.
I want this misinformation/diagnosis expunged. Forever. How do I do this? What should I say to these people – who paid no attention in the first place?
How do these things work?

Dr. B. Lewis
8:36 pm

Hi. I would suggest you advise the doctor of your complaint in writing with a copy to the holder of records (ie: hospital or clinic).