Hello! I am a veteran who has beta thalassemia minor, which lowers my body’s ability to carry oxygen efficiently. I have a consistently low hemoglobin count and I also recently developed asthma as a result of being exposed to burn pits while on deployment to Afghanistan. Due to the combination of these conditions, I suffer from bouts of fatigue every few weeks and shortness of breath when attempting exercise or manual labor. I would like to have a medical professional confirm that these two things, while unrelated, are possibly amounting to the more severe results of my fatigability. I am seeing a hematologist for my thalassemia, but she has told me that she won’t connect the two, as she is not a pulmonary specialist. I would like to get in touch with someone who feels comfortable with both aspects of my medical situation and would possibly give me documentation that outlines how these two things could interact in my case. Thank you so much for your help!
Home › Medical Questions › I am a veteran who has beta thalassemia minor and asthma while in deployment in Afghanistan?
Board Certified Doctors
Available To Answer
Your Question Now
Cardiologists - Dermatologists - Ear, Nose and Throat Specialists - Gastroenterologists - Gynecologists/Obstetricians - Neurologists - Oncologists - Orthopedic surgeons - Pediatricians - Psychiatrists - Pulmonologists - Urologists
Recent Medical Questions
- Can a corticosteroid shot to treat arthritis have side effects?
- I have a ankle fracture, do I need surgery?
- I have lost most of my hearing in my left ear and vision in left eye, is it a brain tumor?
- Fractured my l3 and l4 vertebrae, rods have fractured, will they need to be replaced?
- I have had elevated liver enzymes, is there a problem with my liver?
- I broke out in hives and itchy, swollen purple like skin, is this a consequence of my low blood test results?
- I have this sore on my neck on my hair line, is it skin cancer?
- Can a back injury cause kidney failure?
- I had a benign breast tumor removed, is it possible for the tumor to have returned?
- Can bruising on the chest be caused from a tubation on an anemic person after surgery?
- Thought I had a miscarriage, ultrasound showed that I didn’t, please advise?
- Considering my symptoms and tests, do I still have IGT (Impaired glucose tolerance)?
- This is an ultrasound of my baby’s spine. How does the spine look to you?
- I suffered a meniscal tear, can I start training again?
- My girl friend and I are blood relations, can we have children without risk?
- I had a flu shot, I’m not sure if the flu shot made me sicker?
- I have had a series of “boils” that started out as a pimple and got hard and painful, should I take some antibiotics?
- I have Atrial fibrillation ( AFib or AF), can a car accident have caused it?
- I just had a baby 4 months ago, is experiencing debilitating fatigue normal?
- I have had fever for 6 days and an enlarged lymph node on jaw?
- Experiencing painless bumps on penis, tests all negative, need second doctor opinion?
- During my period I get extremely lightheaded and feel as though I’m going to pass out?
- I think I have onychophagia, I thought I could stop this, please advise?
- Did I have a miscarriage or is it a normal period?
- I had a hysterectomy 5 years ago for endometriosis, have side effects please advise?
- I had an shoulder injury while playing football, what should I do next?
- I have been sick for the last 3 weeks, cold sore like blisters on eyelids?
- Do I really need to get a shot for Yellow Fever?
- My medication may be too high?
- I am urinating twice an hour, and feeling immense pressure to urinate?