Hello — this question pertains to my son, who is 19 years old. He has had a pigmented mark on his upper back which I first noticed when he was about 8 or 10 years old. It started off looking like a cafe au lait spot, and throughout the years, it has darkened and become rougher in appearance. It is a little smaller that an inch, and looks like some smaller spots grouped together. His pediatrician had never raised any concern when I pointed it out, and he has no diagnosed medical conditions, I recently took him to a dermatologist, and the physician’s assistance there examined it with a dermascope and said it was a “linear epidermal nevus”, and further said that it can simply be monitored yearly and that the chances of it becoming anything dangerous are slim to none. Unfortunately I made the big mistake of googling epidermal nevi and ran across information concerning related syndromes associated with epidermal nevi, and also information indicating that these nevi could have a genetic mutation with associated skin disease in offspring. Again, my son has one solitary epidermal nevus and is otherwise healthy; just looking for some reassurance that I should not be concerned at all about related syndromes and potential gene mutations in his offspring (Dr. Google can be a dangerous man!) Thank you!
Home › Medical Questions › Dermatology › My son has a pigmented mark on his upper back, please advise?
Board Certified Doctors
Available To Answer
Your Question Now
Cardiologists - Dermatologists - Ear, Nose and Throat Specialists - Gastroenterologists - Gynecologists/Obstetricians - Neurologists - Oncologists - Orthopedic surgeons - Pediatricians - Psychiatrists - Pulmonologists - Urologists
Recent Medical Questions
- I have been a vegetarian for about 12 months now?
- I have pain behind my left knee?
- I am in my 31st week of pregnancy and just had an ultrasound done before yesterday?
- I have an ammonia smell in underwear but no discharge, what can it be?
- I developed a white, flaky kind of skin on my penis?
- I was prescribed Klavox 1g twice a day to treat ear infection?
- So for a month my heart rate when i woke up was 110, 112?
- I have a pinkish cyst?
- I’m having some concern about some white spots/bumps on my genitals?
- i have hyperthyroidism and i want to take clenbuterol?
- I am in very serious pain in my right hip thru my right calf!
- In September 2000 I had a wrist fusion done?
- MRI brain 65y/o woman with lifelong history of narcolepsy with concomitant ADD who developed CFIDS/ME?
- I have had some shoulder and neck pain that has got a bit better?
- I have spinal stenosis, bulging discs and was recently diagnosed with fibromyalgia?
- Should I check with a doctor to see if the mould has affected me?
- I have had this mark on my toe for several months now?
- I awake from my sleep to have swollen cheeks and lips?
- I am having tightness, cramps, dull and achy throbbing pain in my legs?
- I have had anxiety for over 6 years?
- Does this look like a bat bite?
- I have been taking tramadol for pain in my shoulder, knee and for a large toe joint replacement?
- What is treatment for very hard itch diagnose as herpes 2
- Did I have an early miscarriage?
- I’ve got candida, seemingly yeast infection in urinary tract?
- For spider bites. when they bite. do they just draw blood, or are they also injecting venom?
- I am planning for an hGH treatment with the goal to repair the various healthy tissue, and build up the appearance of the skin?
- My face is pale almost white compared to my tanned body?
- Six months ago my new GP put me on the anticoagulant Rivaroxaban?
- I started spotting on August 1st 4 days before my period?