Hello — this question pertains to my son, who is 19 years old. He has had a pigmented mark on his upper back which I first noticed when he was about 8 or 10 years old. It started off looking like a cafe au lait spot, and throughout the years, it has darkened and become rougher in appearance. It is a little smaller that an inch, and looks like some smaller spots grouped together. His pediatrician had never raised any concern when I pointed it out, and he has no diagnosed medical conditions, I recently took him to a dermatologist, and the physician’s assistance there examined it with a dermascope and said it was a “linear epidermal nevus”, and further said that it can simply be monitored yearly and that the chances of it becoming anything dangerous are slim to none. Unfortunately I made the big mistake of googling epidermal nevi and ran across information concerning related syndromes associated with epidermal nevi, and also information indicating that these nevi could have a genetic mutation with associated skin disease in offspring. Again, my son has one solitary epidermal nevus and is otherwise healthy; just looking for some reassurance that I should not be concerned at all about related syndromes and potential gene mutations in his offspring (Dr. Google can be a dangerous man!) Thank you!
Home › Medical Questions › Dermatology › My son has a pigmented mark on his upper back, please advise?
Board Certified Doctors
Available To Answer
Your Question Now
Cardiologists - Dermatologists - Ear, Nose and Throat Specialists - Gastroenterologists - Gynecologists/Obstetricians - Neurologists - Oncologists - Orthopedic surgeons - Pediatricians - Psychiatrists - Pulmonologists - Urologists
Recent Medical Questions
- Pain is now going up my leg?
- I might have caused myself an injury to my neck?
- A nurse practitioner decided to change my antidepressants?
- I am having trouble with nausea and light headedness?
- Will the pessery be a problem?
- My husband occasionally wakes up with his face a little puffy?
- I am extremely weak and I am losing pounds almost by the day?
- Is it possible for compression damage to a femoral nerve to cause complete loss of knee flexion?
- I have constant constipation?
- I’ve been struggling with a weird stomach condition for two years?
- I have a small skin rush on the arm?
- I had a low risk encounter?
- I’ve been on bed rest for about a month with an intractable migraine?
- I have been on my menstrual cycle now for 3wks?
- I’m concerned about ED?
- I noticed my big toe nail was all bruised looking 6 weeks ago and it doesn’t look to be growing out?
- I’m trying to find out if this is a case of Herpes?
- I want a pill that will make me stay harder for longer?
- Can Botox be used to treat an Overactive bladder (OAB)?
- How can I get rid of edema without medications?
- Why do so many suicides fail before the age of 25?
- Husband and wife in terrible car crash – worst case scenario?
- My blood test results indicate Positive ANA, what does that result mean exactly?
- I have red spots on only my right lower gum line?
- How effective is Tarceva for cancer?
- Do I have a rash on my breast or are they glands of some kind?
- I’ve been experiencing a constant pain in/above my first set of top molars?
- I have had redness on the my right side of face?
- Can you suggest a homemade recipe for electrolyte replacement for bowel prep?
- I’ve been dealing with issues in my left foot for the past 3 weeks, with varying symptoms?