Hi. I am a 34 year old female w/an extensive medical history. Mostly due to botched bariatric surgery & about 13 surgeries since the initial surgery in 2/2011. I ended up getting into a car accident on 5/2016 & my malabsorption (bariatric surgery that left me w/short gut, horrible absorbing of food/meds/liquid/vitamins/etc that requires numerous blood/fluid/TPN/platelets/potassium/etc transfusions & infusions) has caused me to be on VERY high doses of opiate medications + TPN mostly. My Pain Mgmnt doctor placed an intrathecal pain pump implant for dilaudid & baclofen (spelling?) to be inserted into the pump on 12/2/2016. Well, after it was placed, 2 was post-op he stated that I have to be off all opiate medicine for “3 weeks” before he’ll place the medications in my pump. How is this possible!? If I’m ok w/o pain control for 3 wks, then, why do I need a pump implanted? Does this sound like common practice to anyone else that’s a physician? My sister is an internal medicine doctor, not a pain specialist but will be going w/me to my appointment to pose these questions in January, doesn’t understand this “plan” either. Furthermore, the detox place that he had me call just as a “back up if I need inpatient care” & they said they’re not “in the business of ‘drying out someone so they can go back to the same medications & don’t really know anyone that would do that. If my plan is to stay w/him, I need to know that going into his plan, no detox place will be on that plan w/him. However, I might want to seek a 2nd & 3rd opinion.” Thank you-bye. So, my question is: Does this seem normal practice or should I find another Neuroscience/Pain Managment doctor? Thank you!
Home › Medical Questions › General › Doctor placed an intrathecal pain pump implant for dilaudid & baclofen, is it justified?
Board Certified Doctors
Available To Answer
Your Question Now
Cardiologists - Dermatologists - Ear, Nose and Throat Specialists - Gastroenterologists - Gynecologists/Obstetricians - Neurologists - Oncologists - Orthopedic surgeons - Pediatricians - Psychiatrists - Pulmonologists - Urologists
Recent Medical Questions
- Can a corticosteroid shot to treat arthritis have side effects?
- I have a ankle fracture, do I need surgery?
- I have lost most of my hearing in my left ear and vision in left eye, is it a brain tumor?
- Fractured my l3 and l4 vertebrae, rods have fractured, will they need to be replaced?
- I have had elevated liver enzymes, is there a problem with my liver?
- I broke out in hives and itchy, swollen purple like skin, is this a consequence of my low blood test results?
- I have this sore on my neck on my hair line, is it skin cancer?
- Can a back injury cause kidney failure?
- I had a benign breast tumor removed, is it possible for the tumor to have returned?
- Can bruising on the chest be caused from a tubation on an anemic person after surgery?
- Thought I had a miscarriage, ultrasound showed that I didn’t, please advise?
- Considering my symptoms and tests, do I still have IGT (Impaired glucose tolerance)?
- This is an ultrasound of my baby’s spine. How does the spine look to you?
- I suffered a meniscal tear, can I start training again?
- My girl friend and I are blood relations, can we have children without risk?
- I had a flu shot, I’m not sure if the flu shot made me sicker?
- I have had a series of “boils” that started out as a pimple and got hard and painful, should I take some antibiotics?
- I have Atrial fibrillation ( AFib or AF), can a car accident have caused it?
- I just had a baby 4 months ago, is experiencing debilitating fatigue normal?
- I have had fever for 6 days and an enlarged lymph node on jaw?
- Experiencing painless bumps on penis, tests all negative, need second doctor opinion?
- During my period I get extremely lightheaded and feel as though I’m going to pass out?
- I think I have onychophagia, I thought I could stop this, please advise?
- Did I have a miscarriage or is it a normal period?
- I had a hysterectomy 5 years ago for endometriosis, have side effects please advise?
- I had an shoulder injury while playing football, what should I do next?
- I have been sick for the last 3 weeks, cold sore like blisters on eyelids?
- Do I really need to get a shot for Yellow Fever?
- My medication may be too high?
- I am urinating twice an hour, and feeling immense pressure to urinate?