I have a bulged disc in my back. Lumbar region, L4 and L5, I don’t know what to do anymore?

I have a bulged disc in my back. Lumbar region, L4 and L5 to be exact… I’ve been dealing with extremely bad flare ups for 2 years now. Every time I go to the ER they just pump me with narcotic pain medication and send me home. They say because I am 18 there is nothing they can do, but keep me on gabapentin and anti-flammitories I have tried physio therapy, inversion tables, exercise. I don’t know what to do anymore, I need advice on what to do to take this into my own hands.

This Question Is Open to Answers -Post Your Comment Below

Notify of
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments
Ayman Darrag
5:52 am

Hi and welcome to question doctors.com
This really depends on how far is the bulge causing compression and correlation with clinical findings.
It is unusual to have that pain unless you are doing a bad effort that counteracts the effects of physiotherapy by increasing the disc lesion..for your age I mean..
Try life style modification and avoid strenuous movements and positions..
Traction is a modality that helps much in this case with interferential currents.
Stretching lower back ,piriformis..hamstrings and iliopsoas is very important..
And strengthening the back and abdominal muscles also..
Lose extra pounds if there is.

Nouran Maamdouh
8:06 am

Try seeing an osteopathy doctor .
Do a new MRI and continue with physical therapy but make sure you are on the program that suits you by seeing a good physical therapist.
Apply hot packs daily before sleeping on your back.

11:09 am

you need to take lumbar traction,infra red therapy, laser therapy to improve results.
get a recent mri to assess the progress of the disease.

Ahmed Fawzy
11:18 am

First of all avoid jumping
Also try cross sitting with leaning forward
Try to walk with slight leaning forward instead of upright back
Knee to chest exercise from lying on your back position with flexed knees