I have a constant dull pain in my right upper chest about even with my armpit?

I am a 36 w/f I have a constant dull pain in my right upper chest about even with my armpit almost directly inline with my nipple (Just to give an exact location), that feels like it goes straight out through my back at the exact location. The pain radiates down to my right under arm and stops approximatly 3 inches from my elbow. The pain transitions from dull to stabbing when deep breathes are taken, when I move my arm a certain way and when lying down. This has gradually gotten worse over the past week. Please advise if I should go to the ER or what the possibilities of causes could be.

Notify of
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments
Ahmed Fawzy
10:00 pm

This is mastitis , yes I recommend Going to ER, it could be infection if you recently have been breast feeding or a fibroid formation , check it as soon as possible
Good Luck

Ayman Darrag
10:30 pm

It is most probably musculoskeletal pain of ribs and muscles in between them ,can be caused by strain ,severe cough or sneeze ,cold air current..
Use hot packs on the area and avoid cold air,strain of the muscles …
Just to be sure palpate your lymph nodes below armpit for any swelling ..
If found hard and swelled compared to opposite side then you should get them investigated and examined by a doctor .

Masr Fawzy
12:04 am

It breast and chest must be examined ,
Do u feel any lymph nodes in the armpit??
Are u on any medication?

Mostly it’s just myalgia due to wrong sleeping postion and anti inflammatory medications are enough, but close examination is imp.

5:23 am

this usually occurs due to a pinched nerve in the cervical vertebra in the neck causing neuroradiculopathy.
other possibility is pleuritis,either inflammatory,or secondary to underlying lung pathology.
get a MRI of cervical spine and a chest Xray/CT done to find out the exact diagnosis.

Dr.Honey Arora
8:51 am

Thanks for the query..

The symptoms that you are explaining can be due to causes like Gastritis, Pleuritis, gall bladder related problems etc..
You should consult a Physician for a clinical evaluation so that proper cause careaten be ruled out and treated accordingly..

Hope this helps..