My son recently broke his tibia and fibula in the lower part of his leg requiring extensive surgery that included utilization of steel plating and several screws. Afterwards, upon reviewing his post op x-rays, it was discovered that a large splinter from the back side of his fibula had separated from the main bone and was in essence floating in the surrounding tissue (see attached). In response to our concerns regarding the same, my son’s followup physician has advised him to manually manipulate the fragment in place by hand. Our concern is that doing so could possibly result in further damage to the surrounding tissue and prevent fusion to the main bone. Is this really a safe and soundly establish practice in regard to such injuries, or should we be considering looking for a second opinion?
Home › Medical Questions › My son broke his tibia and fibula, is it safe to manually manipulate the fragment in place by hand?
Board Certified Doctors
Available To Answer
Your Question Now
Cardiologists - Dermatologists - Ear, Nose and Throat Specialists - Gastroenterologists - Gynecologists/Obstetricians - Neurologists - Oncologists - Orthopedic surgeons - Pediatricians - Psychiatrists - Pulmonologists - Urologists
Recent Medical Questions
- I am positive carrier for the Kell antigen, can I donate or receive blood?
- I have inflammation of my meso rectal fat, what does that mean?
- I had electrocautery to remove genital warts, should my partner do the same?
- I have a deviated septum and enlarged turbinates and I think possibly a nasal polyp, what can be done?
- I received a pneumonia, flu, tetanus vaccine, is my reaction normal?
- I have a cyst on testicle, should I get it removed surgically?
- I feel a pressure on the cartilage in my throat, any ideas what it can be?
- I have chronic sinus, is there something that can be done?
- I have unusual weight gain problems, what is the cause?
- I have Urticaria ( hives on the skin), could this be Cushing syndrome?
- I have severe anemia, what can I do?
- I had a liver transplant, how can I remove stretchmarks on my back and stomach?
- I had a vasectomy now have blood in my semen (seminal fluid), will it stop?
- I am extremely tired, suffer from chronic diarrhea, stiff joints, please advise?
- I have a boil on my skin, how can I treat it?
- I had a vaginal hysterectomy with removal of ovaries, now bleeding?
- I’m having a problem with my sinuses, major headaches and nose bleeds?
- My daughter has migraines since she was 2 years old, now getting worse?
- I have ED issues and experience pain during orgasm?
- My son broke his tibia and fibula, is it safe to manually manipulate the fragment in place by hand?
- I had unprotected oral sex, do I have symptoms of HIV or STDs?
- Feel discomfort in arm after accident with plates and screws installed surgically.
- I am worried I have throat / tonsil cancer, is this cancer or anything to be concerned about?
- I broke the bottom part of my ankle bone, how can I make it heal?
- Intestinal virus seems to act up again, I was sick again, please advise?
- Doctor said I might have light asthma, or is it Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD)?
- How often can I take Lantus?
- I did a home dipstick urinalysis test, should I be worried about the results?
- I suffer from pain in upper left side of the mandibular, what is causing this?
- I was sick to my stomach, is it something serious?