My son recently broke his tibia and fibula in the lower part of his leg requiring extensive surgery that included utilization of steel plating and several screws. Afterwards, upon reviewing his post op x-rays, it was discovered that a large splinter from the back side of his fibula had separated from the main bone and was in essence floating in the surrounding tissue (see attached). In response to our concerns regarding the same, my son’s followup physician has advised him to manually manipulate the fragment in place by hand. Our concern is that doing so could possibly result in further damage to the surrounding tissue and prevent fusion to the main bone. Is this really a safe and soundly establish practice in regard to such injuries, or should we be considering looking for a second opinion?
Home › Medical Questions › My son broke his tibia and fibula, is it safe to manually manipulate the fragment in place by hand?
Board Certified Doctors
Available To Answer
Your Question Now
Cardiologists - Dermatologists - Ear, Nose and Throat Specialists - Gastroenterologists - Gynecologists/Obstetricians - Neurologists - Oncologists - Orthopedic surgeons - Pediatricians - Psychiatrists - Pulmonologists - Urologists
Recent Medical Questions
- I have a line that has formed on my forehead due to wearing a tight wave cap?
- I am preparing to have bariatric surgery?
- Is there an alternative drug/medication for nerve pain and depression for my father that aren’t addictive?
- I have white spots with pus on my arm?
- I have had headaches for the past 2 days?
- Would lower back surgery allow me to have normal activities?
- I’ve had chronic diarrhea for two years since I had hip replacement?
- Every time I pass a stool I have a sharp knife – like pain on the right side of my anus?
- Is this red rash ringworm or dermatitis?
- My wife is an amputee and has had phantom pain for four days now?
- Will clonazepam show a positive drug screen on the DOT drug screen?
- Over a 24 hour period I took at least 4 paracetemal every 4 hours?
- Can Ellaone morning after pill (MAP) cause future period’s to be irregular?
- I have noticed a small lump on the left side of my testicle?
- I have a growth on the glans of my penis?
- I have frozen hands, spine pain and shoulder pain?
- I experience anxiety, I want to start meditation?
- Medical Marijuana: Can cannabis help my Multiple Sclerosis (MS).
- My husband is paraplegic and has developed a pressure sore on the left buttock that goes to the bone?
- I have diagnosed eustachian tube dysfunction with tinnitus?
- I’ve been diagnosed with trichomoniasis?
- I have these glitch feeling in my head in the temporal lobe?
- I have shooting pain when bending or moving?
- Can Budd Chiari be caused by a birth defect?
- Can medical marijuana help with ovarian cysts?
- Symptoms started 2 years ago after doing anabolic steroids?
- Just wanting to know if my MRI of my neck is anything to be concerned about?
- Blood when passing stools?
- I’ve a problem with having to bend forward when I walk?
- I have a three inch cut on my fore leg?