My son recently broke his tibia and fibula in the lower part of his leg requiring extensive surgery that included utilization of steel plating and several screws. Afterwards, upon reviewing his post op x-rays, it was discovered that a large splinter from the back side of his fibula had separated from the main bone and was in essence floating in the surrounding tissue (see attached). In response to our concerns regarding the same, my son’s followup physician has advised him to manually manipulate the fragment in place by hand. Our concern is that doing so could possibly result in further damage to the surrounding tissue and prevent fusion to the main bone. Is this really a safe and soundly establish practice in regard to such injuries, or should we be considering looking for a second opinion?
Home › Medical Questions › My son broke his tibia and fibula, is it safe to manually manipulate the fragment in place by hand?
Board Certified Doctors
Available To Answer
Your Question Now
Cardiologists - Dermatologists - Ear, Nose and Throat Specialists - Gastroenterologists - Gynecologists/Obstetricians - Neurologists - Oncologists - Orthopedic surgeons - Pediatricians - Psychiatrists - Pulmonologists - Urologists
Recent Medical Questions
- Terrible pain in lower back had xray done, what can be done to improve my condition?
- I have this mole on my face left cheek that is growing?
- I noticed a pea sized lump in front of my left ear?
- I found a lump at the bottom of my back that is small, pink and brown around the edges?
- I have this rash, what is it?
- I have blood in my urine, is it cancer?
- Is Sildenafil safe to take with Isentress, Norvir and Reyataz?
- Ultrasound of my kidneys provides different results, please advise?
- Suffering from a terrible pain in lower back that lasts a second or two, please advise?
- I have been trying to have a baby for 10 years, please advise?
- I have a nickel sized lump that is very painful and itchy?
- Chronic pain and tingling sensation in both legs, please advise?
- My husband is forgetting things, is it alzheimer’s?
- I have bad swelling in my legs and feet, will my swelling be alleviated if a biventricular pacemaker is put in?
- I have a major acne problem, what should I do?
- I have a lump on my eyelid, what is it?
- I developed neuropathy in my feet, right foot primarily, burning, tingling, please advise?
- Can an xray and MRI miss a bone tumor?
- I’m 4 months postpartum with first baby and have joint pain?
- I have severe narcolepsy as well as CFIDS, need second opinion?
- Did a health test analysis should I worry about my results?
- I slipped and fell l broke my femur in three places?
- I have a strong steady burning sensation right where my sternum comes together?
- Can you get a rib fracture as a result of anesthesia?
- I have had an issue with my stomach since. December 2nd 2017?
- After botox injection my eyes swelled up, need second opinion?
- I’ve had genital warts for a few months now, what can be done?
- I had arthroscopy for a meniscus tear in my right knee, pain has returned?
- I had a spinal fusion surgery now have difficulty swallowing food?
- Can a frostbite injury be related to hypertension, diabetes or renal disease?