What can be done when Heterotopic ossification breaks off?

What can be done when heyerotooic ossification breaks off and is causing pain? 17yr old female who had hip arthroscopy in Aug. 2015 heterotopic bond formed off of the acetabalum and xRays were taken it has now broken off causing pain what is the treatment for this?

This Question Is Open to Answers -Post Your Comment Below

Notify of
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments
Ayman Darrag
4:04 pm

In case of severe pain or limitation of movement surgical interference or radiation therapy are good to help.
In less severe cases physiotherapy and A 25 mg/d prescription of the selective COX-2 inhibitor rofecoxib decreased the risk of HO formation by 2.5 times…

Ahmed Fawzy
6:14 pm

In my opinion only possible treatment is surgical removal , followed by physical therapy to prevent reformation and regain full range of movement

Good Luck

5:42 am

treatment depends on the size and exact location of the broken bony piece.
if its tiny and within the soft tissue,only physiotherapy ill be enough.
if its is big enough and causing hinderance in hip movements, it has to be removed surgically.

Masr Fawzy
6:07 pm


U have several options
Beside using pain killers and antiinflammatory drugs like NSAIDS, you have two options, whether to go for physical therapy and certain exercises, but even if it succeded , reccurence rate is high, the other option is surgery , and let me tell you that this is a double edged weapon treatment, its the best in your case, but its complication if anything went wrong is very serious with recurrence rate as well,

Following radiotherapy can be an option to decrease recurrence after surgical procedure

Good luck