I broke my left clavicle in a mountain biking accident about 3 years ago?

I broke my left clavicle in a mountain biking accident about 3 years ago. The break had an overlap and they decided st the hospital to not do surgery and let it heal as it was. My problems now are there is a large lump sticking out from the position of the overlap that is aesthetically very unpleasant and also causes pain/irritation if I’m carry something over that area like a backpack. I wanted to know if there was a surgery option to cut down or smooth off this overlap bone that is sticking out under the skin. I’m very self conscious about this, and it effects my confidence and I’m always feeling around that area every day. Thanks.

Notify of
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments
Ayman Darrag
9:35 pm

In my opinion you should not think about surgery unless there is a symptomatic problem.as this area is very sensitive and full of vital structures,so I recommend strengthening your pectoralis group and deltoid muscle group.

4:49 am

cosmetic reason is the only indication for such fractures.
getting a surgery done to remove the bony bump beneath ur skin is definitely possible,but this will leave an ugly operative scar over that part which will make u even more conscious and embarassing.

Masr Fawzy
5:02 am

Hi, Regarding your question, no need to be worried ?, That lump takes place due to healing, and that’s normal , it’s something called exostosis (a new bone formats on the bone surface) As Dr ayman said, it does not require surgical intervention, it’s not uncommon for a visible bump or bulge to remain at the fracture site after the bone has mended. This is a normal part of the healing process, and the bump will likely decrease and become less noticeable over time. BUT, IF U concerned that much , THERE IS A SOLUTION ?, A plastic surgery can… Read more »

Dr.Honey Arora
7:22 am

Thanks for the query..

It looks like bone exostosis and not anything fatal..

Do not need surgical correction to prevent other complications as the area has certain delicate structures as well as there will be scarring that will further be unaesthetic..

If still there is some other associated symptoms consult a General Surgeon and get evaluated..

Hope this helps..


Ahmed Fawzy
7:49 am

If it is bothering you then have it removed, it was supposed to get smoother within 2 years on its own, since you are on the 3rd year then yes you can have it removed, I had similar experience so I totally understand your problem
Good Luck