I am a 58 yr old male, good overall health, except I have been diagnosed with barrets esophagus and severe acid reflux. I have been on (Proton-pump inhibitors) ppi’s the last 20 years, 40 mlg the last 6-8 years, once a day. I have been trying to go off due to what I have read recently about long-lasting side effects, esp the kidney failure, as I donated one in 1980 to my father, and have no children. I have not found anything that seems to take it’s place, and struggle with just about everything I eat and drink though. Ranitidine seems to help the best, but only short term, and I would need to take it many times per day, every day. I just had my (Blood Urea Nitrogen Test) bun(6.43) and creatinine(123.76)checked. Would it be safe to go back on ppi’s, or what would you recommend? thanks!!
Home › Medical Questions › Gastroenterology › I have been diagnosed with barrets esophagus and severe acid reflux, are PPIs safe for me?
Board Certified Doctors
Available To Answer
Your Question Now
Cardiologists - Dermatologists - Ear, Nose and Throat Specialists - Gastroenterologists - Gynecologists/Obstetricians - Neurologists - Oncologists - Orthopedic surgeons - Pediatricians - Psychiatrists - Pulmonologists - Urologists
Recent Medical Questions
- I hit my head. No signs of concussion but still sensitive, please advise?
- I got a nasty blister on my foot and I swelled up?
- I was diagnosed with Type A influenza with bronchial thickening, is this anything to be worried about?
- I have a lump in my breast, is it cancer?
- Is it safe to take both Tylenol Acetaminophen and Aleve Naproxen at the same time?
- Pain in stomach when I eat, is it something serious?
- I have been diagnosed with clinical depression what are the best anti-depression medications?
- I have acne breakouts and head pain, is this caused by menopause?
- I am pregnant, is it twins and are my thyroid levels normal?
- I have a scaly rash on my chest, need a second opinion?
- I have a black toenail, what could cause it and what could be done?
- Woke up with chills and fever, is it due to flu shot?
- Can prednisone cause my vision to get blurred?
- Is this an ingrown hair or something more serious?
- Is it the same virus that causes sores inside and outside the mouth?
- Lab results show high total iron and % saturation, please advise?
- I have slowly lost my taste and smell, what has caused this?
- I tore my frenulum and started to bleed, do I need stitches?
- I am scared of getting a blood test, what should I do?
- I am suffering from hair loss but I’m only 19 years old, is that normal?
- I had a steroid injection, when will I feel improvement?
- Can a plan B contraception mess up your cycle?
- I have been losing weight lately without dieting, what can be the problem?
- I have been having body wide muscle twitching, is it ALS Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis?
- I had a UTI received antibiotic for severe kidney infection?
- My 12 year old girl isn’t feeling well?
- I have headaches that last between 1 to 2 days?
- Uncontrollable shaking of the body from the neck down?
- I have a spot on my face, can this be skin cancer?
- I’m trying to have a baby with my wife, here’s lab report?