Is Transurethral resection of the prostate (TURP) the right procedure?

I’m 67 years old with an enlarged prostrate. I’ve taken tamsulosin 2x a day for 5 years but the problem has gotten to the point that I admit that I need to take more effective measures. Because I also have a 2mm stone in my bladder my urologist says TURP is the procedure of choice. My question is this, is it obvious that TURP is the way to go or are there alternative procedures to explore? My urologist is quite competent but he is semi-retired “old school” and I’m not confident that he knows about the most recent developments in the field.

Age: 67
Medications: Tamsulosin HCL 0.4mg twice a day
General Information: Except for the enlarged prostrate I am in very good health

Notify of
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments
Dr.Honey Arora
9:39 am

There are a few non invasive procedures that are used these days as an alternative to TURP in cases of Benign prostatic hyperplasia that does not respond to medication and causes urinary problem..

So my suggestion is to discuss with your Urologist and if you wish any new but experienced Urologist so that appropriate alternative treatment can be done..


Dr. Javez Ernesto
4:35 pm

Hello. Yes I think there are better alternatives. Such as PVP laser. There are also Heat-based treatments which should be looked into. You need to discuss the pros and cons of each treatment with your doctor and decide which is best for you.

Arti Sharma
1:38 am

There are Many newer modalities which you can put for. discuss with your Urologist.

Original Poster
Original Poster
12:39 pm

I made a mistake in my question. The stone in my bladder is 2CM not 2MM. It is because of the stone that I am asking if there is an alternative to TURP

Dr. Javez Ernesto
11:46 am

This is an important factor that needs to be considered, but not the only one. There are alternative invasive procedures available besides TURP