I am writing you on behalf of my fiance, she is 37. Her medical history includes a long bout with insomnia, thyroid problems, digestion problems, her gallbladder was removed in june, and recently she has had trouble with low potassium and magnesium levels. On oct. 26th she went into the hospital for stomach issues and came out wit no use of her legs, they gradually weakened over a period of about a week until one day they were useless. She describes a numbness combined with what she calls painful pinpoint fireworks all over her body. She was diagnosed with giallam barret syndrome. The hospital began treatment for it. After the 1st day of treatment she was transferred to UNC, within 2 days they determined she did not have giallim barret, they tested her and the test came back negative. So they sent her back to cape fear valley hospital where they continued treatment even though she tested negative for it at UNC. They never told us what was wrong with her, or why she could no longer walk. On Friday nov. 18th they discharged her. And now I’ve had to stop working to take full 24 hr care. And the numbness is spreading up throughout her body. Her arms and hands are going now, she can barely use them, and her entire body is in pain, her back, neck, legs, feet, ache constantly and intensely, she describes her body as one big exposed tingling nerve. We have returned to 2 separate hospitals since then, only to be sent home with no explanation oh any help. Her inability to use her legs has been going on for over 3 weeks now. Her normal medications are ambien, seriquill, trazidone, also a senthoid, symbalta, and the hospital gave her gabapenton which seems to do nothing for her.
Home › Medical Questions › General › My fiance can no longer walk, diagnosed with giallam barret incorrectly, hospital has no explanation?
Board Certified Doctors
Available To Answer
Your Question Now
Cardiologists - Dermatologists - Ear, Nose and Throat Specialists - Gastroenterologists - Gynecologists/Obstetricians - Neurologists - Oncologists - Orthopedic surgeons - Pediatricians - Psychiatrists - Pulmonologists - Urologists
Recent Medical Questions
- I suffer from groin pain and slight burning sensation when urinating?
- I’m currently having near-blackout episodes, please advise?
- My blood result monocytes are high. Can anyone explain to me what might cause that?
- I had smoke inhalation, do I need to be concerned?
- My husband is having breathing problems, seems confused and is sleepy, taking OxyContin what is the problem?
- I believe my thyroid is enlarged, please advise?
- Fever of 100, migraines, can I take care of this at home?
- I feel my heart pounding with a little dizziness, am I having a heart attack or a heart problem?
- I hit my head. No signs of concussion but still sensitive, please advise?
- I got a nasty blister on my foot and I swelled up?
- I was diagnosed with Type A influenza with bronchial thickening, is this anything to be worried about?
- I have a lump in my breast, is it cancer?
- Is it safe to take both Tylenol Acetaminophen and Aleve Naproxen at the same time?
- Pain in stomach when I eat, is it something serious?
- I have been diagnosed with clinical depression what are the best anti-depression medications?
- I have acne breakouts and head pain, is this caused by menopause?
- I am pregnant, is it twins and are my thyroid levels normal?
- I have a scaly rash on my chest, need a second opinion?
- I have a black toenail, what could cause it and what could be done?
- Woke up with chills and fever, is it due to flu shot?
- Can prednisone cause my vision to get blurred?
- Is this an ingrown hair or something more serious?
- Is it the same virus that causes sores inside and outside the mouth?
- Lab results show high total iron and % saturation, please advise?
- I have slowly lost my taste and smell, what has caused this?
- I tore my frenulum and started to bleed, do I need stitches?
- I am scared of getting a blood test, what should I do?
- I am suffering from hair loss but I’m only 19 years old, is that normal?
- I had a steroid injection, when will I feel improvement?
- Can a plan B contraception mess up your cycle?