I am writing you on behalf of my fiance, she is 37. Her medical history includes a long bout with insomnia, thyroid problems, digestion problems, her gallbladder was removed in june, and recently she has had trouble with low potassium and magnesium levels. On oct. 26th she went into the hospital for stomach issues and came out wit no use of her legs, they gradually weakened over a period of about a week until one day they were useless. She describes a numbness combined with what she calls painful pinpoint fireworks all over her body. She was diagnosed with giallam barret syndrome. The hospital began treatment for it. After the 1st day of treatment she was transferred to UNC, within 2 days they determined she did not have giallim barret, they tested her and the test came back negative. So they sent her back to cape fear valley hospital where they continued treatment even though she tested negative for it at UNC. They never told us what was wrong with her, or why she could no longer walk. On Friday nov. 18th they discharged her. And now I’ve had to stop working to take full 24 hr care. And the numbness is spreading up throughout her body. Her arms and hands are going now, she can barely use them, and her entire body is in pain, her back, neck, legs, feet, ache constantly and intensely, she describes her body as one big exposed tingling nerve. We have returned to 2 separate hospitals since then, only to be sent home with no explanation oh any help. Her inability to use her legs has been going on for over 3 weeks now. Her normal medications are ambien, seriquill, trazidone, also a senthoid, symbalta, and the hospital gave her gabapenton which seems to do nothing for her.
Search Q & A
Join us and share your knowledge.
QuestionDoctors is a medical question and answer platform. It’s a place to ask questions and share medical knowledge. Join us and share your knowledge by providing answers, comments and insights. Whether you’re a doctor, health professional, patient or someone with personal experience, your contribution helps people in need.
Certified Complementary Medicine Practitioners
Acupuncture - Ayurveda - Homeopathy - Naturopathy - Chinese or Oriental Medicine - Chiropractic Medicine - Energy Therapies - Magnetic Field Therapy - Reiki - Herbal Medicine - Yoga
Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website.
- What Every Man Needs to Know About Penile Conditions and Diseases
- Testicular Torsion: What is It & How to Spot the Symptoms
- Penile Cancer: FAQ-Answer Guide for Men with Penile Cancer
- Prostate Problems FAQ – Men’s Health Issues
- FAQS Male Infertility: What Every Man Should Know
- Male Genital Disorders FAQ: An Introduction to Men’s Sexual Health
- FAQ: Understanding Male Sexual Dysfunction-Informative Guide
- I have no problem getting an erection but I dont have much sensation.what could cause this?
- I have had bumps and black heads full up on my penis, how to remove them?
- My in-law father has stage 4 prostate cancer 7yrs, What is life expectancy?
- Dental Implants 101: The Complete Guide
- Ultimate Guide to Choosing the Right Dental Lab for You
- I have received my lab report, are these results bad?
- I have trouble falling asleep, is Autonomous Sensory Meridian Response (ASMR) a solution?
- I have developed blisters on my glans (head of penis).
- I have sudden pain in my legs for a few seconds?
- I had a vasectomy but my girlfriend says she is pregnant?
- Do I suffer from liver damage?
- Cold room temperatures give me headaches and migraines?
- Should I take Pertussis vaccine in order to protect baby from whooping cough?
- I have a small white scar on the lower lip, is it cancer?
- I had an allergic reaction to lip balm, what can I put on it safely?
- I am a male with weak ejaculation. Are there any remedies?
- Should I go gluten free?
- My mother is coughing, can it be cancer?
- Should a patient with no visible lesions be treated with FLUORUORACIL(EFUDEX)
- What is the difference between complementary and conventional medicine?
- How dangerous is Omicron variant?
- I have a drug abuse problem, will info be kept confidential?
- Does sudafed work for a bad sinus infection?
- I am pregnant and worried about getting vaccinated. Why none of the clinical trials for covid vaccines included pregnant women?
- I had a feeling on the left of my Adam’s apple as if someone was placing their thumb on it.
- I have pain not only in my hand but from my leg up to my neck.
- Bleeding from vagina. Is this normal or caused by blood clotting?
- I have been having headaches for about 4 to 5 years?
- Can I stop my epilepsy medication? Haven’t had a seizure in over 6 years.
- I want to take the best possible Covid 19 vaccine. Which one is the best?
- I am having heartburn and stomach pain. Is it due to GERD or peptic ulcer?
- Fooducate App : Product review
- Fitbit Sense Smartwatch : Product Review
- Are my home EKG results good? Or is there a problem?
- I suffer from persistent acne problems?
- I have had ovulation induction but no pregnancy?
- My body wants to keep moving to the right?
- Can I add DHEA and Pregnenolone to improve my hormone levels?
- I am really worried about developing anaphylaxis to an anesthetic?
- Should I take a vaccine to improve my immunity?
- I went to ER, strep test was negative but doctor said it must be strep?
- I had a root canal done now I am in pain?
- I hit my head on a wall.
- I woke up this morning with sudden back pain?
- All Americans must start wearing masks right now!
- Pain on lower right side?
- I have been diagnosed with peripheral neuropathy
- Do Miracles Exist?
- Will a person suffering from Crohn’s disease be more pre disposed to get MND?
- We received a Procalcitonin test of 1.6 which appears to be positive. We are not sure how to interpret this result?
- I am concerned about having 2 polyps – a benign at 5 mm and a 10 mm Precancerous sessile serrated adenoma polyp?
- How to get rid of chronic pain?
- 4 Medical Cannabis – Marijuana Questions To Ask Your Doctor
- Medical Marijuana and Cancer Treatments: The New Miracle?
- How important is your sleeping posture?
- How to have safe sex without protection?
- My wife had a cervical stitch procedure done. What to do now?
- I was not sure whether I am pregnant or not?
- Is back pain, discomfort or soreness a common sign that shows lung cancer?
- What are the physical signs of vaginal cancer?
- I have developed problems to sleep with medication, why can’t I sleep?
- I have developed spine pain, do I need an MRI or CT scan?
- I had a CBC blood work done I am very worried it may be Leukemia?
- I have lost some sensation in my feet, feeling numbness and tingling sensation?
- The color of my face skin varies in color, what is the solution?
- My CT scan results indicates renal angiomyolipoma, what do I need to do?
- Every night I am having severe pain in my right hip and groin?
- I have cramps in legs and hands?
- I have a sore throat and suffer from asthma, do I need antibiotics?
- I suffer from extreme blood pressure problems, how can I get my BP down?
- My 8 months old baby girl has a high fever, cough, and cold, diagnosed with bronchiolitis?
- I have an earache, used olive oil, now ear is blocked.
- I have received a blow to the stomach. it is painful. What is the problem?
- I am allergic to dust mites, medication helped now problem has returned?
- I have an inguinal hernia, should I get an operation?
- I suffer from loss of appetite, feeling of fullness, vomiting ?
- I have had a severe sinus cold which has affected my sense of smell?
- I always develop a bad cough near the end of the year?
- I had several panic attack episodes and I take Valium, now experience fear attacks?
- I keep getting colds and sinusitis, can it be that I have a low immune system?
- My condom tore while having intercourse with woman with AIDS?
- I have developed numbness in my right side over a period of a few months
- I have had irregular periods, now feel nauseous?
- I have had cataract surgery and now my eye is red?
- This morning my stools were covered with a white mold?
- I have itching, burning feeling in urethra is it urethritis?
- I was diagnosed with C.difficile?
- I have knee pain when standing up?
- I suffer with pain in both feet with a burning sensation and redness?
- Experiencing sharp pain upper abdomen on the right side?
- I have a white blood count of 12000, is this a problem?
- I have pimples and a little rash on the side of my face?
- I haven’t had my periods twice?
Hi..sorry to hear that for your fiance … Possible condition is Chronic Inflammatory Demyelinating Polyneuropathy (CIDP) is a neurological disorder characterized by progressive weakness and impaired sensory function in the legs and arms. The disorder, which is sometimes called chronic relapsing polyneuropathy, is caused by damage to the myelin sheath (the fatty covering that wraps around and protects nerve fibers) of the peripheral nerves. Although it can occur at any age and in both genders, CIDP is more common in young adults. It often presents with symptoms that include tingling or numbness (beginning in the toes and fingers), weakness of… Read more »
Hi your fiance is taking a cocktail of the worst drugs i have ever see like for example long term use of seriquill can cause paralysis Second gabapenton can have increased side effect which counters all her medications if this drug is taken with them Third with this cocktail of drugs you do not get to use pain killers or alcohol which can cause serious neuropathy In my opinion you should go to her psychiatric doctor to determine if it is a case os sever depression ,psychosis or is side effect from drugs I can not think of multiple sclerosis… Read more »
this seems to be a variant of the GB syndrome.
This is associated with demyelination of the nervous myelin sheath often occurs secondary to a recent episode of viral infection.
Only symptomatic treatment and neurotransmitter tablets will be helpful.
Physiotherapy and nerve stimulation techniques will help.
WE ARE EXTREMELY SORRY TO HEAR THIS.
THIS CAN HAPPEN DUE TO ANTERIOR HORN DISEASE IF NOT GULLIAN BARRE.
BUT IT IS GENERALLY PARTIALLY RECOVERABLE AND 100 % RESULTS ARE NOT EXPECTED.
PHYSIOTHERAPY AND EXERCISES REMAIN THE MAINSTAY OF THE TREATMENT.
extremely sorry to know this.
my best wishes for her recovery.
i feel this has happened due to progressive demyelination of the peripheral nerves that occurs due to a virus and low immunity.
exercises and nerve/muscle electrical stimulation will be helpful