Hello doctor, earlier last week my grandfather passed away. It was unfortunate and even weird… the doctors had told us that he was suffering from ARDS. We were not convinced, especially after there was an episode of him falling and choking due to some food that got in his lungs. My grandfather was admitted to the hospital on December 15, 2016 and passed away on January 2, 2017. He had a stroke the day he was admitted, leading to the doctors figuring out that he had bleeding in the brain. His blood pressure was high and he was complaining about headaches. About 5-6 days later, his brain was starting to heal and his blood pressure had gotten better. He was doing way better. The only problem was that he was not eating properly. The doctors said that he was given a swallowing test and passed, they even gave him nausea medicine answered laxative, he was still not eating. Just 7 days after he was admitted, (a day or two after he was showing signs of recovery) he apparently choked on food and flat lined. The nurse found him on the floor, they don’t know how long… the doctors worked on him for 10 minutes and finally got a pulse back, reviving him. The doctors were not sure if he had a heart attack or a seizure and diagnosed him with Acute Respiratory Distress Syndrome. Note: my grandfather was a diabetic and had a few strokes beforehand (like months- to years ago). I need to know your thoughts and what you think he was really diagnosed with, I just can’t wrap my mind around the fact that they found him on the floor choking with an amount of minutes they didn’t even know.
Home › Medical Questions › Medical Malpractice - Negligence › My grandfather passed away at hospital, choked on food?
Board Certified Doctors
Available To Answer
Your Question Now
Cardiologists - Dermatologists - Ear, Nose and Throat Specialists - Gastroenterologists - Gynecologists/Obstetricians - Neurologists - Oncologists - Orthopedic surgeons - Pediatricians - Psychiatrists - Pulmonologists - Urologists
Recent Medical Questions
- I feel my left arm muscle twitching, please advise?
- I suffer from groin pain and slight burning sensation when urinating?
- I’m currently having near-blackout episodes, please advise?
- My blood result monocytes are high. Can anyone explain to me what might cause that?
- I had smoke inhalation, do I need to be concerned?
- My husband is having breathing problems, seems confused and is sleepy, taking OxyContin what is the problem?
- I believe my thyroid is enlarged, please advise?
- Fever of 100, migraines, can I take care of this at home?
- I feel my heart pounding with a little dizziness, am I having a heart attack or a heart problem?
- I hit my head. No signs of concussion but still sensitive, please advise?
- I got a nasty blister on my foot and I swelled up?
- I was diagnosed with Type A influenza with bronchial thickening, is this anything to be worried about?
- I have a lump in my breast, is it cancer?
- Is it safe to take both Tylenol Acetaminophen and Aleve Naproxen at the same time?
- Pain in stomach when I eat, is it something serious?
- I have been diagnosed with clinical depression what are the best anti-depression medications?
- I have acne breakouts and head pain, is this caused by menopause?
- I am pregnant, is it twins and are my thyroid levels normal?
- I have a scaly rash on my chest, need a second opinion?
- I have a black toenail, what could cause it and what could be done?
- Woke up with chills and fever, is it due to flu shot?
- Can prednisone cause my vision to get blurred?
- Is this an ingrown hair or something more serious?
- Is it the same virus that causes sores inside and outside the mouth?
- Lab results show high total iron and % saturation, please advise?
- I have slowly lost my taste and smell, what has caused this?
- I tore my frenulum and started to bleed, do I need stitches?
- I am scared of getting a blood test, what should I do?
- I am suffering from hair loss but I’m only 19 years old, is that normal?
- I had a steroid injection, when will I feel improvement?