My 76 year old mother in law was put on Abilify last December due to bi polar disorder, paranoria, psychotic episodes. Afterward she seemed to develop shaking in her hands, that progressed to her head, literally severe tremors, along with muscle weakness. It then developed into a complete inability to walk or function. She is now bedridden, incontinent and virtually sleeps all day. At the beginning of her diagnosis she had white matter degradation, diabetes, high cholesterol, thyroid disorder, high blood pressure and irregular heartbeat but other than the psychotic episodes which became more frequent, she was functional, mobile and able to hold a conversation. She has had 2 ER visits to the local hospital in PA, where they ran a battery of tests, could find nothing wrong and discharged her. Her physician does not care, and told us she is of sound mind and body (completely laughable.) The hospital psychiatrist who placed her on the Abilify only treats those patients in the hospital mental health ward. He will not see or consult on outside patients even if he saw them while they were previously in the hospital. We have attempted to transfer her to another physician but zero anywhere nearby are taking new patients. Its a catch 22. Her physician recently took her off the Abilify cold turkey which seems to be counter indicated, but there is zero improvement. She was placed in assisted living by her psychiatrist last December, one of the conditions of discharge, as she was attempting to injure my father in law. The nursing staff is baffled and frustrated. We, as her family, are equally so. Any ideas or advice? She is also on Glipizine 10mg 2x per day, Metropolol Tartrate 25mg daily, Lisinopril 10mg daily, Levothyroxine sodium 100mcg daily, Coumadin 5mg daily, Divalproex 500mg 2x daily, Atorvastin Calcium 10mg daily. It as if no one cares, and she is not up for travel. I am wondering if we should try to check her into a larger hospital 60+ miles away?
Home › Medical Questions › Gerentology › My mother in law is bedridden, shaking, incontinent and virtually sleeps all day, no one seems to care?
Board Certified Doctors
Available To Answer
Your Question Now
Cardiologists - Dermatologists - Ear, Nose and Throat Specialists - Gastroenterologists - Gynecologists/Obstetricians - Neurologists - Oncologists - Orthopedic surgeons - Pediatricians - Psychiatrists - Pulmonologists - Urologists
Recent Medical Questions
- I have numerous small stones, is removing gallbladder necessary?
- I have a 4-5cm lump on upper arm / bicep, is it really a cyst?
- I’ve had a bump on my eyelid for over a week, is this cancer?
- Suffering from umbilical hernia that is reducible, should I be alarmed?
- After oral sex I have flu like symptoms, can it be HIV?
- My MRI seems to indicate a PONS abnormality, is the case or is MRI showing UBOs ?
- I contracted some food borne disease, can e-coli or salmonella poisoning be causing UTI? Or antibiotics?
- I’ve been experiencing an itchy crawling sensation on my body, is it caffeine?
- I suffer from Hair Loss (Hair Fall), is it AGA or Ferritin induced ?
- I suffer from irregular heartbeats, severe headache in back side of head..a state of fear?
- Can a small pigmented spot on the head of a penis be a sign of a medical problem?
- I have had traces of blood in my urine, but blood tests are ok?
- I’ve started to get heart palpitations and food makes me nauseous?
- Rashes are spreading throughout my body, is it ringworm?
- Can a corticosteroid shot to treat arthritis have side effects?
- I have a ankle fracture, do I need surgery?
- I have lost most of my hearing in my left ear and vision in left eye, is it a brain tumor?
- Fractured my l3 and l4 vertebrae, rods have fractured, will they need to be replaced?
- I have had elevated liver enzymes, is there a problem with my liver?
- I broke out in hives and itchy, swollen purple like skin, is this a consequence of my low blood test results?
- I have this sore on my neck on my hair line, is it skin cancer?
- Can a back injury cause kidney failure?
- I had a benign breast tumor removed, is it possible for the tumor to have returned?
- Can bruising on the chest be caused from a tubation on an anemic person after surgery?
- Thought I had a miscarriage, ultrasound showed that I didn’t, please advise?
- Considering my symptoms and tests, do I still have IGT (Impaired glucose tolerance)?
- This is an ultrasound of my baby’s spine. How does the spine look to you?
- I suffered a meniscal tear, can I start training again?
- My girl friend and I are blood relations, can we have children without risk?
- I had a flu shot, I’m not sure if the flu shot made me sicker?