Hi, I can you help me assess the risk of thromboembolic complications due to discontinuation of anticoagulation medicine against the increased risk of hemorrhage if oral anticoagulation is not resumed as it was prior to a burr hole surgery. The few studies addressing the issue are conflicting.I had a burr hole surgery done two months ago to drain a subdural hematoma caused by a fall. All the blood has been removed or reabsorbed. However, now I have a very high platet count (500 trombocytes) and low MCHC levels (Mean corpuscular hemoglobin concentration) both which were always normal before the surgery. I stopped my oral anticoagulation medicine (trombyl) before the surgery and I have not restarted it. Do you think that is the cause for the raised levels? Should I restart the oral anticoaulation medicine because of the increased risk of hemorrhage? I started with it because of a heart attack over ten years ago and I have not had problems with my heart or hematomas outside of these two events. Also the risk that I will fall and hurt my head again is slim to none because I receive help now. I am a 70 year old male with type 2 Diabetes and Parkinsons disease with no other medical issues.Best regards
Home › Medical Questions › General › What is my risk of thromboembolic complications due to discontinuation of anticoagulants?
Board Certified Doctors
Available To Answer
Your Question Now
Cardiologists - Dermatologists - Ear, Nose and Throat Specialists - Gastroenterologists - Gynecologists/Obstetricians - Neurologists - Oncologists - Orthopedic surgeons - Pediatricians - Psychiatrists - Pulmonologists - Urologists
Recent Medical Questions
- Pain is now going up my leg?
- I might have caused myself an injury to my neck?
- A nurse practitioner decided to change my antidepressants?
- I am having trouble with nausea and light headedness?
- Will the pessery be a problem?
- My husband occasionally wakes up with his face a little puffy?
- I am extremely weak and I am losing pounds almost by the day?
- Is it possible for compression damage to a femoral nerve to cause complete loss of knee flexion?
- I have constant constipation?
- I’ve been struggling with a weird stomach condition for two years?
- I have a small skin rush on the arm?
- I had a low risk encounter?
- I’ve been on bed rest for about a month with an intractable migraine?
- I have been on my menstrual cycle now for 3wks?
- I’m concerned about ED?
- I noticed my big toe nail was all bruised looking 6 weeks ago and it doesn’t look to be growing out?
- I’m trying to find out if this is a case of Herpes?
- I want a pill that will make me stay harder for longer?
- Can Botox be used to treat an Overactive bladder (OAB)?
- How can I get rid of edema without medications?
- Why do so many suicides fail before the age of 25?
- Husband and wife in terrible car crash – worst case scenario?
- My blood test results indicate Positive ANA, what does that result mean exactly?
- I have red spots on only my right lower gum line?
- How effective is Tarceva for cancer?
- Do I have a rash on my breast or are they glands of some kind?
- I’ve been experiencing a constant pain in/above my first set of top molars?
- I have had redness on the my right side of face?
- Can you suggest a homemade recipe for electrolyte replacement for bowel prep?
- I’ve been dealing with issues in my left foot for the past 3 weeks, with varying symptoms?