Hi, I can you help me assess the risk of thromboembolic complications due to discontinuation of anticoagulation medicine against the increased risk of hemorrhage if oral anticoagulation is not resumed as it was prior to a burr hole surgery. The few studies addressing the issue are conflicting.I had a burr hole surgery done two months ago to drain a subdural hematoma caused by a fall. All the blood has been removed or reabsorbed. However, now I have a very high platet count (500 trombocytes) and low MCHC levels (Mean corpuscular hemoglobin concentration) both which were always normal before the surgery. I stopped my oral anticoagulation medicine (trombyl) before the surgery and I have not restarted it. Do you think that is the cause for the raised levels? Should I restart the oral anticoaulation medicine because of the increased risk of hemorrhage? I started with it because of a heart attack over ten years ago and I have not had problems with my heart or hematomas outside of these two events. Also the risk that I will fall and hurt my head again is slim to none because I receive help now. I am a 70 year old male with type 2 Diabetes and Parkinsons disease with no other medical issues.Best regards
Home › Medical Questions › General › What is my risk of thromboembolic complications due to discontinuation of anticoagulants?
Board Certified Doctors
Available To Answer
Your Question Now
Cardiologists - Dermatologists - Ear, Nose and Throat Specialists - Gastroenterologists - Gynecologists/Obstetricians - Neurologists - Oncologists - Orthopedic surgeons - Pediatricians - Psychiatrists - Pulmonologists - Urologists
Recent Medical Questions
- Can a corticosteroid shot to treat arthritis have side effects?
- I have a ankle fracture, do I need surgery?
- I have lost most of my hearing in my left ear and vision in left eye, is it a brain tumor?
- Fractured my l3 and l4 vertebrae, rods have fractured, will they need to be replaced?
- I have had elevated liver enzymes, is there a problem with my liver?
- I broke out in hives and itchy, swollen purple like skin, is this a consequence of my low blood test results?
- I have this sore on my neck on my hair line, is it skin cancer?
- Can a back injury cause kidney failure?
- I had a benign breast tumor removed, is it possible for the tumor to have returned?
- Can bruising on the chest be caused from a tubation on an anemic person after surgery?
- Thought I had a miscarriage, ultrasound showed that I didn’t, please advise?
- Considering my symptoms and tests, do I still have IGT (Impaired glucose tolerance)?
- This is an ultrasound of my baby’s spine. How does the spine look to you?
- I suffered a meniscal tear, can I start training again?
- My girl friend and I are blood relations, can we have children without risk?
- I had a flu shot, I’m not sure if the flu shot made me sicker?
- I have had a series of “boils” that started out as a pimple and got hard and painful, should I take some antibiotics?
- I have Atrial fibrillation ( AFib or AF), can a car accident have caused it?
- I just had a baby 4 months ago, is experiencing debilitating fatigue normal?
- I have had fever for 6 days and an enlarged lymph node on jaw?
- Experiencing painless bumps on penis, tests all negative, need second doctor opinion?
- During my period I get extremely lightheaded and feel as though I’m going to pass out?
- I think I have onychophagia, I thought I could stop this, please advise?
- Did I have a miscarriage or is it a normal period?
- I had a hysterectomy 5 years ago for endometriosis, have side effects please advise?
- I had an shoulder injury while playing football, what should I do next?
- I have been sick for the last 3 weeks, cold sore like blisters on eyelids?
- Do I really need to get a shot for Yellow Fever?
- My medication may be too high?
- I am urinating twice an hour, and feeling immense pressure to urinate?