I have extreme inner ear pain, no solution from my doctors, need help?

I am a 54 year old female and a month ago I had sore throat trouble swallowing went to gp was given nose spray for what the dr said was sinus drainage. Then I had ear ache and pain down neck and across shoulders and went to urgent care and was put on antibiotics and ear drops for ear infection. I then saw an ent cause still having the same symptoms . They put me on stronger ear drops for ear infection. Still having pain I went back to ent they said my neck was stiff and from my tmj was told to put heat on it. I did and week later went back and told dr I was still in pain and trouble swallowing so finally they took scope up nose and down throat and found nothing wrong. Sent me home. Then I called them again saying it is not better so I went back they ordered a scan of my neck. The next day they called and said it came back with nothing wrong and said I was ok . The pain continued and I started getting lightheaded went back to the gp and got put on steroids. A week later my ears were so stuffed and painful with loud buzzing and can hear my eyes blink. I went to urgent care they put me on stronger steroids and said they had no idea why the other symptoms were happening but that my ear was inflamed. A week later I started to have night sweats and still pain in neck shoulders down arms and felt week loud buzzing in ears and can hear my eyes blink and lightheaded . I went to er the dr did a test on urine and test my blood all came back fine. He told me it might be a inner ear infection that no one can see and said I might need mri and told me to go to gp. I was hoping they would do it. As I am writing this I am having extreme pain in ears down neck across shoulders down arms feel lightheaded like I am going to vomit buzzing in ears and can hear eyes blink and I am sweating terrible. I feel horrible. No one seems willing to help me. Don’t know what to do. I want to scream. I am still taking the ear drops and steroids I have one day left. Nothing is helping. Please tell me what I should do. I am begging for help.

Notify of
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments
Ahmed Fawzy
10:13 pm

I recommend doing a bacterial culture to check for bacterial resistance, some resistant Bacteria require more than one antibiotic type to be treated
Good Luck

Ayman Darrag
6:04 am

In my opinion, your problem is labyrinthinitis and vestibular neuritis secondary to bacterial or viral infection, you should get a CT done ,see a neurologist for physical examination to exclude any neurological disorder and then a specialist ENT .
Do you drink alcohol ?
Have you lately got upper respiratory viral or bacterial infection that lasted longer than usual?

Dr.Honey Arora
6:50 am

Thanks for the query..

Your symptoms are consistent with Inner Ear Infection and you should see another ENT Surgeon and get evaluated and he can do investigations like Pneumatic otoscopy, tympanometry etc to rule out the cause and will treat accordingly..

As of now to relieve pain you can take painkillers and continue putting ear drops and nasal decongestants..

Hope you get better soon..

Masr Fawzy
7:39 pm

Inner ear problems with temporomandibular joint affection

But I believe MRI is better to be done , but consulting the specialist