I’m a 32 year old male. I had a UTI just over a year?

I’m a 32 year old male. I had a UTI just over a year or so. I was given trimethoprim with no effect and then moved onto ciprofloxacin. On the last day of antibiotics the infection cleared up, but I developed the make equivalent of thrush. I was advised this was due to the strong antibiotics.

Ever so often I now get mild, recurring UTI symptoms like a slight stinging or burning from time to time, occasionally feeling like I need to pee after I’ve just been. Just a lot milder as I say.

I’m not a big drinker, but sometimes if I drink alcohol I’ve now also found this makes me more or less feel like I need to go straight away.

I do have a partner and have unprotected sex, but we’ve been together 3 years faithfully.

I didn’t get treatment for the thrush and just kept it clean and dry as I’m aware you should and it cleared up on it’s own. I’m a bit of a worrier and when these symptoms flare up I’m at my wits end wondering what it is or if I’m getting another UTI.

Any help is greatly appreciated

Doctor Answers And General Comments : (both members and visitors can post)

5 Comment threads
0 Thread replies
Most reacted comment
Hottest comment thread
5 Comment authors
Dr MasrDr.HoneyDr MahaveerDr. Ayman DarragDr Ahmed Fawzy Recent comment authors
Notify of
Dr Ahmed Fawzy
Dr Ahmed Fawzy

Long standing or recurrent infection Can cause interstitial cystitis
Or you can simply have a bladder stone
I recommend that you do a bladder ultrasound
Good Luck

Dr. Ayman Darrag
Dr. Ayman Darrag

Recurrent infection is strongly related to low water intake abd high urea ,so in my opinion you could be suffering some crystals or salts causing thus sensation , so a urine sample and u/s is needed to confirm this,while you need to boost up your water intake .

Dr Mahaveer
Dr Mahaveer

this may be due to renal calculi or urinary bladder infection.
Get a ultrasound of abdomen done.
drink plenty of water.
maintain good local hygiene.
Alkaliser medicines will help.


Hi.Thanks for the query..

First of all if the thrush is still present, you should get treated for it with antifungal medications oral as well as topical.
Secondly the symptoms of slight stinging and burning can be due to recurring UTI or can be related to renal stones.
An ultrasound as well as urine culture should be done so that appropriate treatment can be advised to you for complete eradication of problem.
As of now drink plenty of water..

Hope this information helps..


Dr Masr
Dr Masr

Thrush is. a possible cause, but u should also exclude renal stones
Do US, xray and urine culture ,
If u don’t mind can u upload the last urine analysis u have done?